Simply stated, I adore Cate Blanchett. The sheer command and versatility of her work never fails to impress or surprise me. She is the definition of reliable, turning out excellent performances continually. It’s staggering to watch her perform and take on a new challenge. She’s one hell of a class act if ever there was one. If I’m honest, I’d find it hard to choose just one favourite performance from her, which is why I’m leaving it up to you wonderful people. So which of her illustrious roles gets your vote as the best?
I was inspired to feature Jack Nicholson in this series after I took part in Gill’s blogathon to celebrate his 80th birthday . And I think the guy is an acting great with many wonderful performances under his belt. You can’t really go wrong with Nicholson, his energy and presence are greatly seen in almost everything he does. He is most electric when playing unbalanced and rebellious characters, though he’s done a lot of work that subtly tones down this trait to good effect. Entertaining is the perfect word to describe Jack Nicholson on the screen. So which of Nicholson’s performances really stands out for you? For me, it’s difficult to choose just one.
Today I put the spotlight on the always watchable and convincing Julianne Moore. If you ever want someone to really get into a complex character and express deep emotion, Moore is your woman. Such moving and frequently revealing performances have made Julianne Moore an actress I can never tire of watching. She never seems to go for the easy option, instead delving into characters that are multi-faceted and show off her considerable abilities in daring ways. So which of her many roles is your favourite?
This second entry to my new series is on the talented and pretty amazing Hugh Jackman. Adept at action and spreading his dramatic muscles, Jackman has become one of the most likeable stars out there. And as a person, he seems to be quite down to Earth and self-effacing. In an age where fame can go to the mind of many, it’s refreshing to see someone famous who still can be fun and not full of themselves. For me, I like seeing Hugh Jackman on screen because he actually looks like he’s having fun. So which performance from this great guy is your personal favourite?
This is going to be part of a new series in which I select an actor or actress and ask which performance do you think is their best. And what better place to start than with Meryl Streep? Undoubtedly one of the best actresses there is, Streep has enjoyed a simply stellar career thanks to her deep versatility and commitment to her craft. I can’t say I’ve ever seen her give a bad performance in the movies I’ve seen of her’s. I still have many movies of hers to watch, but the vast majority of things she’s been in have made her one of my favourite actresses because of her talent and depth. Just the way she can so embody a character and switch genres is nothing short of spectacular, you know when Meryl Streep is in a film she’ll deliver. So which of her many, wonderful performances is the one that really lingers in your mind.
Transformation is always a theme I enjoy seeing in movies. There are simply so many avenues you can go down with that, from a physical or literal morphing or something deeper. So I ask all you people, which transformations( of any kind) stand out for you in movies? Perhaps it’s one that is more subtle than overt? Or a sweet ugly duckling change in a character? Or maybe it is a frightening or shocking one? Whatever you think, please leave your opinions in the comments. Below is a video of possible character transformations of the look variety I found on YouTube. But a transformation can be what you make of it.
I’m asking this question because I’ve noticed that I seem to be pretty adept when talking about erotic aspects of movies. I did write an erotic piece ages ago and that surprisingly had a good reception. I wanted to put the question to all of you to see what you thought. Would you mind if I wrote erotic stories on here? Of would it distract from my movie reviews? Whatever your take, please give it.
I enjoyed the response on my last horror questionnaire, so I went forth and did another one for all of you out there. I love hearing your opinions on movies, as you promote good discussion and debate. You guys rock! Anyhow, back to the horror questions which I know will all give you something to talk about.
- If you were to direct a horror movie, what sub-genre would it be part of?
- If you could erase one horror flick from your mind, what would it be?
- Do you have a problem with nudity or sex in horror films?
- Do you have a favourite music score from a horror film?
- What are the best settings for a horror film?
- Are there any guys or girls that you have an attraction to in any films in the horror genre?
- Is there any specific scary film you watch every Halloween?
- If you were to write or direct a horror, what would you change or put in to refresh the genre?
- Which scary film gave you the most nightmares?
- Would you count horror as one of your favourite movie genres?
I do so love doing a questionnaire. Hearing the diverse and intriguing opinions of all of you makes my blogging worthwhile. So today, I present you with a horror movie questionnaire. Below are ten questions pertaining to the spooky genre that I would love to see you answer. There is no pressure to answer if you don’t want to. So here goes:
- What is the first scary movie you recall watching?
- What for you is the scariest movie you have ever seen?
- Which sub-genre of horror is your favourite?( psychological/slasher/ comedy horror are just some to choose from)
- What does a horror movie need for you to enjoy it?
- Are there any horror movies you really detest?
- What is the sexiest scene you have witnessed in a horror movie?
- Who is your favourite antagonist in a horror movie?
- Is there any director that for you symbolizes the best in horror cinema?
- Blood and gore or creepy atmosphere?
- And finally, what do you think so far of my horror coverage this month?
In the spirit of October, I have a question relating to horror for all of you other there. I ask, who is your favourite Scream Queen? Now I will say I am not referring to the television show of the same name here, I am talking about the actresses that you regularly see in the horror genre. There have been so many and all so varied. So which lady who frequents the scary genre is your favourite?